Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dominican Take 2!

I'm off to the Dominican Republic again! This time with a team of 9 other Vancouverites excited to be a part of life in the rural Dominican. 6 ER nurses from Surrey Memorial Hospital, a nurse's cousin, and two friends of my own. It'll be good! :)

The likelihood of actually being able to blog at all down there is slim to none... but I like to pretend at least that I tried. :) And maybe I'll have some stories to share when I get back. Though the stories of last year never did get shared. :S

But... even better than my splattering of photos and stories, a film crew is actually in the Dominican Republic right now in the community where we'll be staying for the next couple weeks! They're making a beautiful, inspiring film about the communities there making their way out of poverty for this year's dinner & film gala. I really wanted to send out invites this weekend before I left but found myself scrambling and out of time as per usual. :S  I'll send real & personal invitations when I get back in a couple weeks, but just in case you want to mark your calendar, it's the last Saturday of April (27th) this year. Sorry such a very lame way to let you know about it for now! :S

Hasta la proxima!

xoxo
Rainbow


At the town hospital last year, part of evaluating our healthcare program of donating much-needed medicines and medical supplies. I'll be visiting with some doctors and nurses and patients again to see how things are going...

Most of my time this year will be spent in the mountains with the team living in a rural village, working alongside the community to build an gravity-fed water system to bring water from the mountains into the village for drinking and irrigation. And living in a community means we won't just be passerby'ers like I was last year just taking pictures of landscapes!
But beautiful, no? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment